I’ve never made a cherry bakewell until this. I’ve eaten plenty of them. Well, plenty of mass produced ones. I was feeling experimental. This tart was made with no recipe and I just kind of made it up as I went along. It worked, very well in fact!
This cherry bakewell isn’t very pretty mainly because I currently only have cake tins and am not particularly prepared for tarts!
Recipe (serves 8)
90g plain flour
45g hard butter
Pinch of salt
~20ml cold water
25g soft butter
60g caster sugar
25g ground almonds
65g plain flour
Pinch of baking powder
1/2tsp almond extract
Splash of milk
Jam (I used cherry)
150g icing sugar
- Rub in butter and flour until the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Form into ball and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out thinly and put in tin, pressing lightly into corners.
- Blind bake for 15-20 minutes at gas mark 4 / 350F / 180C (take off 20 if fan assisted).
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Gradually beat in egg.
- Add all other ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Spread jam over the base of the cooked pastry.
- Add the mix and smooth out the top.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes at gas mark 6 / 400F / 200C (take off 20 if fan assisted).
- Mix icing sugar and water until a smooth paste.
- Spread over the top of the cool tart and add cherries to decorate.